Optometric students completing an externship in Manitoba must register with the Manitoba Association of Optometrists prior to beginning their externship. This is a requirement of provincial legislation.
How to Apply for Registration as an Optometric Student in Manitoba
Optometric students studying at any of the ACOE-accredited schools of optometry in North America are eligible to apply for student registration as set out below.
You will need to provide the following in order to complete your registration in Manitoba:
- Completed application form, which must include a notarized photograph.
- Application fees of $52.50 ($50 plus GST).
- Letter from the supervising optometrist confirming arrangements and dates of the externship.
- Externship letter from the optometric institution where you are registered. The letter must include confirmation that you are covered by liability insurance through your OD program.
- For Canadian citizens: Canadian Criminal record check including Vulnerable Sector Search. If you have resided outside of Canada during the past five years, you must also obtain a criminal record check from the jurisdiction(s) of residence. Criminal record checks must be dated within 6 months prior to registration date.
- For US citizens: US Criminal Record Check including the equivalent of a Vulnerable Sector Search. Criminal record checks must be dated within 6 months prior to registration date.
- If you are not a Canadian citizen, both you and the supervising optometrist are responsible to ensure that you meet all Canadian requirements regarding entitlement to reside, work, and complete an externship in Canada.
After your application is received, the Board of Examiners will meet to review your documents. It may be a month or more between the date of receipt of your application and the date of the meeting of the Board of Examiners, so you should complete your application as early as possible. You should plan to have your application to MAO at least a month prior to the date you plan to begin your externship.
To request the MAO Student Application Form, or if you have any questions, please contact Wynne Haaksma, Administrative Manager, at the MAO office at 204-943-9811 ext. 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org.